Tuesday 2 June 2015

Day 27 - Marks of discipleship

Reading: John 13:18-35

I sometimes travel up to London by train on my own and one of the ways I pass the time (often longer than planned due to Southern Rail!) is to look around at my fellow passengers or listen to their conversations and look for clues to try to work out a bit more about them, what they do or where they are going for the day and so on. I am a big fan of Sherlock Holmes having read Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories many times over, so maybe I fancy myself as a bit of an amateur detective!

Reading this passage made me think, “What clues are there about us that people around us might see that would mark us out as a Christian?” And I’m not thinking about fish badges on lapels or on the backs of car windows!

The account of Judas and the prediction of his betrayal in this passage shows us that there are certain things that people might naturally assume are good identifying marks of discipleship for Christians:  knowing a lot about Jesus; spending time with  his followers; and  even ministry for Jesus. Of course as Christians we should want to do all these things in whatever form that looks like, but it made me think that others could also do all these things ... after all, Judas did!

Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

The early church took Jesus’ command to heart and displayed love as a mark of their discipleship. Tertullian, one of the early church fathers, writing about a century after the gospel of John was written, said that Roman society took note of Christians loving one another and would comment, “Behold, how they love one another!” 

Could the same be said of us at CBC?  Quite a challenge isn’t it, especially as this may well involve loving those in our church family that we find more challenging!

Response

How can we demonstrate our love for Jesus through the way we love one another in our church family? Let’s pray that those looking on are able to say the C21 equivalent of “Behold, how they love one another!” 


Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.