Friday 19 June 2015

Day 40 - A bit more than breakfast

ReadingJohn 21:1-25

There’s a lot going on in this final chapter in John’s gospel.  Fishing, no fish, then lots of fish, an unexpected swim, breakfast and a very important conversation.

It’s Jesus’ restoration of Peter that intrigues me the most. Breakfast is over and Jesus starts to speak.  I wonder whether the disciples had a sense of anticipation every time Jesus began a conversation? Waiting for the next story, challenge or insight.

This time it’s a chat one-on-one with Peter who had let him down so badly just before he was crucified. In chapter 13 Peter has said loudly and emphatically that he would follow him wherever, and lay down his life for Jesus. But he went on to blatantly deny him.  Not just once but three times. And now Jesus is wanting to give him a chance to make amends.

If I want my kids to take in something important I’m saying I usually repeat myself several times.  I’m convinced they know how to nod even when they have no idea what I’ve said! I want to make sure they’ve really heard me. Even if they say, “Muuuum you’ve said that already!” it’s worth doing to make sure they’ve actually taken it in.

Jesus asks the same question three times – Peter do you love me? One for every denial. He gives Peter a chance to make up for each disowning, and to make sure he properly hears that he is restored.

Knowing we can be restored is the most wonderful truth. Jesus offers forgiveness and a fresh start. He restores us from shame, anger, guilt and pain. This is our God. This is the Jesus that the whole of this gospel has been celebrating. 

By way of forgiveness Jesus gives Peter a job to do - feed my sheep. He receives a fresh commission. 

I’m so glad to have given my life to the One who forgives, restores, and then calls me to go on serving him.

Response

Worship Jesus for the forgiveness and restoration that he can bring.  You can receive that from him, right here, right now.


Ellen

3 comments:

  1. Well done Roger, for putting this together and to all the contributors! Thanks for a thoughtful walk through John's gospel.

    Whilst I managed to keep up with the readings, I would not say that I was able to give the thought and attention I would have liked to every day. Real life is like that.

    Curiously, the thing that I feel I got most clearly was about 'meeting Jesus'; sounds corny. I'm thinking about Nicodemas, the Samaritan woman at the well, the crippled man at the pool of Bethesda, the woman caught in adultery, the man born blind.....

    The man at Bethesda had been putting his faith in the healing powers of the pool for 38 years and got nothing. Then he met Jesus and got what he had sought for there and then. Or more precisely, Jesus met him.

    It was the same with the others; they were all seeking something but their needs were only met when they met the Someone.

    Same today. When people meet Jesus they are never the same again. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great thought to end the blog with Tom. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.