Monday 8 June 2015

Day 31 - Saying goodbye

ReadingJohn 15:26-16:15

There are many different ways of dealing with goodbyes – especially when we know it could be a forever goodbye. Some people embrace, cry and hug, whereas others prefer to keep it brief and not get emotional. I remember when leaving my friends in Brazil that many of them couldn’t understand why I couldn’t stay and although I understood why I needed to come back I flew home crying.

Jesus’ followers were struggling to understand why Jesus was soon to leave him. They didn’t understand what he was going on to do and that ‘it is for your good that I am going away’ (verse 7). The reason Jesus could say this was not only because of what he was going on to achieve in his crucifixion and resurrection but because he was promising to leave the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of truth and testimony and their personal advocate. The disciples were ‘filled with grief’ and struggling to take on board the words of Jesus, or understand the implications of always having the Holy Spirit with them.

I often think what if Jesus was here, forgetting that by his Spirit he is. Although not physically visible this is no less wondrous than having the physical Jesus among us. May you be reminded today that the advocate, the helper, the Holy Spirit is with you and in you, that he wants to guide you into all truth, help you to testify about Jesus and glorify Jesus.

Response

Thank you Jesus for sending the Holy Spirit to help us, empower us, guide us and testify about you. Please fill me with your Spirit today and make me aware of him all day long. Amen.


Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.