Wednesday 3 June 2015

Day 28 - Challenges and promises

ReadingJohn 13:36-14:31

Today’s reading is full of both challenges and promises from Jesus.

We base so much of what we do together as a church on the significance of Jesus’ word when he says:

“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Also, in today’s passage there are three main questions which Jesus asks different disciples, and I find myself asking how I would answer these questions.

Taking them in reverse order, Jesus asks Philip (14:9-10), “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me?”

Essentially, Jesus asks, “Don’t you have enough to trust in me?”

I remind myself that I have more than enough to go on in order to confidently place my trust in Jesus.

Secondly, Jesus also asks a leading question to the disciples together (14:2), “My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?”

I read these words and imagine Jesus saying to me, “If there was more you needed to know about heaven, in order to trust me and to not let your hearts be troubled, don’t you believe I would have told you?”

So, I remind myself that Jesus has given enough promises and pointers about the future that I need not live with a troubled heart today.

Thirdly Jesus asks Peter (13:38), “Will you really lay down your life for me?”

I have left this question to last because it is the hardest. I read this question and remind myself of the need to prioritise following Jesus above everything else and to lay down my life for him again today.

Response

Review these 3 questions and offer Jesus your answers.


Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.