Thursday 18 June 2015

Day 39 - The extended biography

Reading: John 20:1-31

Do you enjoy other people’s stories?

I like reading biographies. I enjoy them because they are real life stories. They fascinate me because they add pieces to the jigsaw of my knowledge of history. I’m challenged to be more determined by the accounts that I read. I am warned by them as I see human flaws emerge. I learn from them of mistakes that I should avoid (but often commit). 

But I notice a difference in the biography that continues in today’s verses.

In every other biography I’ve ever read, the account of the individual ends no later than their death.  Certainly, some will provide an analysis of the influence of the person, and that influence may extend beyond their death, but the story of their life ends when their life ends.

But in John chapter 20 we discover the biography with a difference. Jesus lives even after he died. John, the author, doesn’t waste his time arguing that this is true. He knows it because he was there. But he does tell the story of how it influenced and changed some of the disciples in such a way that their lives become evidence themselves.

Mary Magdalene, Peter, John, the remaining nine disciples, and then, of course, Thomas. 

Some of my computer-using friends will jump on the bandwagon of a virus rumour and circulate it to everyone without checking it out first.  Thomas would have brought a dose of cynicism and asked for a reality check.  So I can understand Thomas.  But I also note that in the presence of Jesus, he didn’t need to know all of the answers, because he was in the presence of THE answer.

And the promise for you and me?  Jesus said to Thomas, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” 

Response

Thank you, Father, for the blessing of belief now before we see Jesus in heaven.


Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.